On Jan 19, 8:34 pm, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some have argued that cars are alive.  They evolve, consume, move,
> reproduce and so on.  While they are dependent on humans for reproduction,
> we too depend on a a very specific environment to reproduce.  Much like
> viruses.

Yes, from an alien astronomer's perspective, cars would clearly seem
to be the conscious agents on this planet. Does that show the limits
of observation or the broadness of 'life'? I think that since our own
experience verifies that our interiority is not publicly accessible
except through indirect means, that tilts the scale sharply toward the
probability that observation is limited. We know that cars don't drive
by themselves, but we know that we can drive them when we want to.