On 30 Jan 2012, at 00:06, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/29/2012 6:54 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

There is a huge amount of
evidence along these lines that consciousness does not in fact
supervene on the physical brain.

No, there is a huge number of anecdotes.

But it is proved in the comp theory.

Bruno

I would say that your argument is that consciousness does not supervene on a *fundamental* physical brain. I don't think it shows that consciousness can exist without there also being a physical environment in which it exists, even if the physical is not fundamental but is part of the same computations.

I think you might be right, but this is not quite clear for me. Consciousness might make sense only in the relative matter/mind context, which arise logically, and "simultaneously" from arithmetic, like all "hypostases", once a machine bet on arithmetical induction.

In any case I don't see that it supports NDE's against more mundane explanations.

The mundane explanation use comp + materialism, and so is inconsistent, or it eliminates consciousness, and thus NDE, and all first-personal experiences.