On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 2/1/2012 7:57 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 1/31/2012 8:43 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>
>> Regarding the "philosopher's nothing":
>>
>> This present moment exists, and it has no cause since our universe is a
>> four dimensional structure (time is a subjective phenomenon).  This
>> timeless existence of this moment establishes that "nothingness" cannot
>> exist.  In short: It is an impossible state.  The question then becomes:
>> "Why should this present moment exist, and what else might also exist?"  So
>> far, the answer suggested by our latest discoveries and reasoning suggests:
>> a lot.
>>
>> Jason
>>

>> Or to paraphrase Quine: What is there? Everything. So what isn't there?
>> Nothing.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> I don't quite agree with that paraphrasing.  My point was that there is no
> such thing as a philosopher's nothing, not that everything exists.  Such a
> leap would require the additional assumption that "Nothingness" is only
> thing that does not exist.  All I said was that "nothingness" is an
> impossible state.  This is the conclusion of accepting a
> four-dimensional/atemporal existence, as suggested by relativity.
>

> I agree.  But I don't think it depends on spacetime being four dimensional
> (which is good since it has a lot more dimensions in some theories; some
> even have two time dimensions).

I didn't mean to imply that higher or lower dimensional objects do not
exist, only that time is not objectively real (it only appears to exist to
subjects within particular structures).  If time is not objectively real
then nothing truly changes.  If this universe, this moment, or your present
moment of awareness exist, then they have always and will always exist.
 "Nothingness" never had a chance to be.

Jason