On 2/1/2012 12:35 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 2/1/2012 10:57 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/31/2012 8:43 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
    Regarding the "philosopher's nothing":

    This present moment exists, and it has no cause since our universe is a four
    dimensional structure (time is a subjective phenomenon).  This timeless
    of this moment establishes that "nothingness" cannot exist.  In short: It
is an
    impossible state.  The question then becomes: "Why should this present
    exist, and what else might also exist?"  So far, the answer suggested by our
    latest discoveries and reasoning suggests: a lot.

    Or to paraphrase Quine: What is there? Everything. So what isn't there?

I don't quite agree with that paraphrasing. My point was that there is no such thing as a philosopher's nothing, not that everything exists. Such a leap would require the additional assumption that "Nothingness" is only thing that does not exist. All I said was that "nothingness" is an impossible state. This is the conclusion of accepting a four-dimensional/atemporal existence, as suggested by relativity.

Hi Jason and Brent,

I hope that you both realize that the "four dimensional structure" does not take QM into account as SR assumes that observables all commute and there is no Plank's constant. Why this is not more widely understood is mysterious to me! It is as if a simple error keeps being repeated over and over and no one has the temerity to point it out and offer a correction. Maybe people want the idea to be true so they ignore the inconvenient facts.

I'm not sure what your point is. QFT is done the "four dimensional structure". Or are you complaining that we haven't considered the yet-to-be-discovered quantum theory of gravity/spacetime?