On 2/13/2012 9:18 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 2/13/2012 12:09 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 2/13/2012 8:54 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 2/13/2012 11:48 AM, meekerdb wrote:
On 2/13/2012 7:26 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 2/13/2012 9:44 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 2/13/2012 9:16 AM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
RDR: Not sure if this is helpful, but a possible hypothetical communications model is the 3D 10^90 per cc set Calabi-Yau Compact Manifolds of string theory that are purported to control all physical interactions as they each contain the laws of physics; and collectively they may manifest consciousness as well as perhaps Platonia and "cyclic gossiping" as their variable properties across the universe may manifest a Peano arithmetic. Regarding communication each spherical element/manifold instantly maps all the other manifolds and all physical phenomena to its interior. http://vixra.org/abs/1101.0044

--

Hi Richard,

I am highly skeptical of string theory because of its Landscape problem, the lack of observational evidence of super-partner particles, the fact that it is not back-ground independent and its underlying philosophical assumptions. All that aside, I will take a look at the referenced paper.

Onward!

Stephen
Hi Richard,

    I like your paper! I would like to point out something. You quoted

[Chalmers(1995)]:
(1) Assume my reasoning powers are captured by some formal system F (to put this more briefly, "I am
F"). Consider the class of statements I can know to be true, given this
assumption.
(2) Given that I know that I am F, I know that F is sound (as I know that I am sound).

But you don't know what F is, as a formal system. You've just ostensively identified it by pointing to yourself and naming it "F".

Brent

Hi Brent,

OK, but let us take the assumption that the mathematical truth of a sentence is all that matters. Therefore my pointing at myself and stating the sentence "I am F" makes it so? Why do I need to explicitly "know" a particular example of the formal system F? Fiat existence! Weeeeeeeee!

You need to know what F is in order to reach the contradiction is step (5). You don't have "knowledge that I am F" where F is a formal system. You only have knowledge that "I have named myself 'F'".

Brent
Hi Brent,

    What?! Truth is not 3p? Surely you jest!

Truth and knowledge are not the same thing.  I don't see the relevance of your
remark.