On Feb 29, 4:56 am, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > That certain things don'tn matter to you doesn't
> > > change any facts.
>
> > That would be true if I were aware of the fact but didn't care, but in
> > this case there is no possibility of my ever being aware of it. Facts
> > outside of our own universe can't be considered as facts to us unless
> > they impact us in some way.
>
> But you are already doing that. You are putting forward "it's
> all a simulation" as a fact that is just true and not necessarily
> knowable to us possible sims.

Yes, the fact of it being a simulation is not true for the observers
being simulated under comp. The reality that you simulate is their
actual reality.

> That may be intended as some sort of reductio ad absurdum
> of the simulation hypothesis. I don't know if it is. That is
> one of the many things that aren't clear.

Yes, it is. My point is that MWI is no less wishful thinking than
Creationism.

> >If all of humanity died off and you are an
> > ant crawling on a microwave oven, the 'fact' that it 'is' a microwave
> > oven is not relevant.
>
> That doens't mean it isn't a fact.

It's not a fact to anyone who is alive. If you add the idea that only
insects and plants will ever live anywhere, then it has no meaning to
say it is a fact.

> You are
> supposing it is in order to set up the scenario.
>
> It is consistent to say "it is an objective, absolute facts
> that there are objective, absolute facts".
>
> It is not consistent to say "there are no objective
> facts, everything is just true to of for a subject"
> and offfer in support of that just such an objective fact.

I don't offer an objective fact, I offer a naturalistic scenario to
point out that 'facts' are experiential invariance and nothing more.

> >The world has lost the capacity to define that
> > object in that way, and it now is a hard flat surface for ants to
> > crawl on.

> > > Luncacy might be believed. Not the same thing.
>
> > Not if you take comp and simulation seriously. I don't, so I agree,
> > truth is more than local simulation, but comp does not agree. Any
> > fantasy which can be rendered arithmetically could be a valid universe
> > to live in under comp.
>
> But Comp/SH doesn't have the implication that
> the nature of truth itself keeps changing.

What is a simulation if not a matrix of internally consistent
propositions that can be changed?

> You can state Comp/SH by saying "it is an
> objective fact that most subjective perceptions
> are of simulated worlds, and most subjects hold
> fasle beliefs". You are importing your
> own subjectivist epistemology into Comp/SH.
> It is not native to it. If you want to critique Comp,
> you need to show there is something wrong
> with *it's* claim, not yours!

No, because Comp has no capacity to understand what is wrong with its
claim. Comp is inherently circular and can only prove itself
regardless of any absurdities that arise from it in the real world.
Comp exists in its own theoretical bubble which realism cannot
penetrate. It is up to us living human beings to seize the reigns of
sentience directly and not be seduced by this one narrow tradition of
logical puzzle solving into forsaking the myriad of other channels of
sense we have access to. Comp is like a black and white TV demanding
that color be proved on its terms.

> > > Don't shift the burden. You are making the extraordinary claim.
>
> > I'm not making an extraordinary claim, I'm pointing out that
> > perception cannot be reproduced
>
> What has pecerption to do with it? We were discussing meaning.

Perception is the context of meaning. Texts cannot exist without a
context, so they are two aspects of a whole.

> >precisely since is is context
> > dependent. If it were not the case, it would be possible to say the
> > same word over and over forever and never grow tired of doing that.
>
> Boredom does not indicate shifts of meaning.

Why not? If you have reason to say the word, and then you no longer
have reason to say the word, then the word has changed meaning
relative to your purpose for saying it.

> > Every moment of our lives has unique semantic content exclusive to us.
>
> That does not mean that individual words are always changing meaning.
> You
> can have constantly changing  compounds of stable elements.

It doesn't mean that they aren't always changing meaning either. Is
there any etymology in the history of language which is completely
stable? If there were, we would all still be speaking some Indo-
European root language now.

> > "No man ever steps in the same river twice". - Heraclitus

> > > I am  not disputing that some meanings change in some contexts.
>
> > Why would any meanings be immune from that?
>
> Becuase a certain level of stability is a prerequisite for
> communication.

The stability is precisely in the relativity and flexibility.

> > > That's irrelevant.
>
> > Why? You said simulation is never actual, and I give you an example of
> > how simulation can have consequences as if it were actual.
>
> Note the "as if". That's like saying there is no differnce
> between being realistic and being real.

In comp there is no difference.

> > > I understand it, but don;t agree with it.
>
> > Fair enough. It's pretty old school though. It would be tough for me
> > to try to understand much of anything through an absolutist framework.
>
> As explained above, absolutism is consistent in
> a way that relativism isn't.

You know what they say about consistency...

> > Like how do you explain this without
> > relativism:http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_illusion.html
>
> The squares A and B are the same shade of gray: that is an absolute
> fact.

No. Even the gray is illusion. If you look at your monitor with a
magnifying glass you will see this:
http://cdn.humansinvent.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/LCD-close-up-featured.jpg

Absolute fact is a religious theory. In reality, there are only
different inertial frames of perception and experience.

> They seem different: that is illusion.
> What's the problem?

Everything you have ever seen or known is an 'illusion'.

> > > It means something to non-relativists
>
> > I can't argue with that. What do non-relativists say about that
> > checkerboard? Do the squares appear to be the same color or a
> > different color?
>
> They say they appear differnt, and that that is a false perception.

The gray is false too. And the RGB pixels are false as well as they
are only colorless sources of photological stimulation for your
retinal cells. The photological stimulation too is only what our
instruments can measure. None of these levels are false.

> I have no idea where you are going with this. Are you saying
> A and B are really the same shade just becuase they seem
> to be? Then where is the illusiion?

There is no illusion, there is a demonstration of how image works. A
and B are both the same shade and different shades depending on their
context. That is the actual reality. This is how the entire universe
actually works.

> > > If you can argue that they are
>
> > In one MWI you have unicorns, in another you don't. What is the truth
> > about unicorns?
>
> They don't exist *here*. THe discoverof black
> swans means "all swans are white" is no
> longer true. It doens't mean "true" suiddenly
> means something different.

If the truth can change when you find a black swan, then what does any
truth really mean other than it's falsehood has not been discovered
yet?

> > > And they are still wrong
>
> > Wrong to who?
>
> Just wrong. I don't have to answer the "to whom" question. English
> allows us say things are true or false without that qualification.

That is because English assumes a natural person in the common frame
of our human world. Without a 'two whom', the boundary between true
and false disappears like the difference between the square A and B.

> > > The difference made by the tems "final" and "authoritative".
>
> > It's kind of like getting a haircut. It is not necessary to your hair
> > to cut it, but it is a common and useful practice to do so. Your
> > position seems to me like saying that you can't have hair unless a
> > barber cuts it, or that when they cut it, it stays that way and never
> > grows. I'm saying that the barber's haircut is only better than my own
> > in terms of thoroughness and professionalism, not because he confers
> > any special blessing of hair definition.
>
> ?????

I'm saying it's not necessary to revere definitions in any way. You
can use words in whatever way you like to get your point across.

> > > So? If a dictionary conveniently tells us what the general
> > > and accepted meanign of a word is, we can use that
> > > to exclude arguments based on gerrymandered meanings.
>
> > We can if we are interested in finding shortcuts to exclude arguments.
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> > That's for people who are interested in winning arguments rather than
> > understanding the truth.
>
> People can't even communicate without a common basis
> of meaning.

People already have a common basis of meaning. It's been called 'human
nature' or 'the Psychic Unity of Mankind' in anthropology.

> BTW, do you think it is true of any theory that it must
> can can only be communicated by changing the accepted
> meanings of words.

All new theories contain new concepts, many of those generate new
vocabulary. It's not a matter of having to invent new words to be able
to have new thoughts, it's just that it helps. That is the point of
language, to help us communicate, not the other way around. I'm
American. We make up all kinds of words all the time.

> > > i dare say I'd understand you if you asked me to pass the salt.
> > > But I don;'t understand your *philosophy*.
>
> > That's understandable if you exclude relativism from the start
>
> That's a category conclusion. I do understand relativism, I
> don't think it is true. However I don't understand the rest
> of your philosophy. "not understand" and "not accept"
> just are not the same thing.

I don't think it is possible to understand my ideas if you don't
accept relativism. It's like expecting to understand a bread recipe if
you don't believe in flour.

> > That's
> > a pretty fundamental principle in any realistic model of the cosmos.or
> > consciousness.
>
> What? Are you saying any realsit model must be relativisitic?

Only if it has a chance of being valid.

> > > That;s a pretty hollow claim. Since no one has grasped it, no one
> > > can say how easy it is to communicate it.
>
> > I think that some people have grasped it.
>
> Such as?

On this board only Stephen gets enough of it as far as I know, because
I talk to him outside of this board. But I have several people who
regularly reblog me, loyal readers, favorable comments, as well as
some people who I've had long exchanges about it.

> > > i don't believe you have communicated your philoosphy
> > > to anyone.
>
> > You would be wrong. I'm working with a neuroscientist who agrees with
> > my model of perception. I was accepted to present at the TSC
> > Conference in April, not everyone who applied was. We'll see in April
> > if anyone shows up who gets it. Why would you think that you have a
> > right to an opinion about who I have communicated with?
>
> My opinion is based on evidence.

Like what? You see that I talk to people here, so you think that is
evidence that I don't talk to anyone else?

> > > I don't see why you assume you are unable to follow
> > > communicative methods that others able to employ.
>
> > I speak English. That is the only method I need employ.
>
> You really think speaking English is a sufficient
> criterion of making sense? You think no English
> speaker has ever emitted goggledegook?
> Have you heard of Edward Lear and Lewis
> Carrol? Do you think "colourless green
> ideas sleep uneasily" makes sense?

All semiotic texts make different kinds of sense on different levels.
No truths translate equally well into all forms of text. Some of Lewis
Carroll's made up words (like 'chortle') have become standard English.
Of course Shakespeare is responsible for a lot of words in English as
well. Nonsense words make sense if you use them in a way that makes
sense, just as the same grey square can be dark or light grey
depending on the context.

> > > No.
>
> > Just "the" definition?
>
> No. Just one that is good enough for practical purposes.

Practical for whom? ;)

Craig