On 3/13/2012 12:26 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 3/13/2012 10:28 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

Could you please give one example from physics (yet please not a
thought experiment) where information allows us to reduce entropy?

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101114/full/news.2010.606.html

Thanks a lot. I will look at this.

As fas a I remember, you have told previously that information in
physics is the entropy,

I think your memory is wrong. Please cite where I said that.

In my collection I have this quote for example

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2012/01/information.html

25.01.2012 21:25 Brent: “The thermodynamic entropy is a measure of the information required to locate the possible states of the plates in the phase space of atomic configurations constituting them. Note that the thermodynamic entropy you quote is really the *change* in entropy per degree at the given temperature. It’s a measure of how much more phase space becomes available to the atomic states when the internal energy is increased. More available phase space means more uncertainty of the exact actual state and hence more information entropy. This information is enormous compared to the “01″ stamped on the plate, the shape of the plate or any other aspects that we would normally use to convey information. It would only be in case we cooled the plate to near absolute zero and then tried to encode information in its microscopic vibrational states that the thermodynamic and the encoded information entropy would become similar. ”

Yes, that clearly states that entropy is equal to the information that would be required to eliminate the uncertainty as to the exact state in phase space. It's *the missing* information when you only specify the thermodynamic variables. So what is strange about that? Dollars are a measure of debt, but that doesn't mean you have a lot of dollars when you have a lot of debt.

Brent

Evgenii

Brent

so your statement now looks a bit strange.

Evgenii