On 3/27/2012 11:26 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
Brent,

I have nothing against of fundamental science and I do not expect practical application for this paper.

Yet, I do not see fundamental results. What is in the paper is just a change of vocabulary. I would say that we are free to choose a definition. Well, right now when free will is under question such a statement might be ill-posed but I guess that you understand what I mean.

Let me start with "extracting energy from random molecular motion". Let us consider the next example. A macroscopic ball is flying in one direction. We suddenly make a potential barrier on its way and it flies back after the collision with this potential wall. Do we inject the energy in the system to change the ball trajectory or not?

Not.

Could you please compare this example with the experiment described in the paper? What is the difference between the wall in the example and potential walls in the experiment?

To be like the experiment the ball would have it's trajectory changed again by the random heat energy of the medium.

My point above is that I am not convinced yet, that the energy in the experiment is extracted from random molecular motion.

As I read it, not energy was actually extracted. It was a demonstration of principle. In principle one could have a tiny shaft attached to the bead so that as it rotated the shaft could be used to do work. But of course this is impractical.

It might be possible to state this but then, in my view, some change in the normal vocabulary is needed. This has been taken in the paper for granted. Hence, I am not convinced.

Then

"What you asked for was an example of using information to reduce entropy: not obtaining information AND using it to reduce entropy."

What do you mean here? I see two statements

"using information to reduce entropy"

and

"obtaining information AND using it to reduce entropy"

What in your view has been done in the paper and what difference do you see between these two statements.

The latter is of course what is done in the paper. The difference is that if you include the obtaining the information in the balance sheets that costs free energy, so even though you use information to gain free energy the second law is still upheld for the whole system.

Finally when I have quoted a statement from the paper

"In microscopic systems, thermodynamic quantities such as work, heat and internal energy do not remain constant"

I have meant the following. A thermodynamic system has an internal energy, the Gibbs energy, the entropy and other state functions. However a thermodynamic system does not possess work or heat, they are not state functions. A thermodynamic system can perform work or produce heat when it goes from one state to another. Hence the statement above as such is just sloppy.

Complain to the authors.

Brent

Evgenii