On Mar 14, 11:31 am, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://pss.sagepub.com/content/22/5/613.abstract
>
> > Abstract
>
> >        > The feeling of being in control of one’s own actions is a strong
> > subjective experience.
>
> And the reason we feel that way is because we can't predict what the
> external environment will throw at us,

Why does that cause some kind of subjective experience? A rock doesn't
know what the environment will throw at it either. Why would our
feeling of being in control be any different from a rock's?

> and even if we could we still
> wouldn't always know what we would do next until we actually did it, and
> the same is true of Turing Machines.

Do you think that Windows or a smart phone has a feeling of being in
control of its actions?

> When we eventually see what we did we
> say we "decided" to do it, it's what the word means.

If that were the case, then deciding to breathe deeply would be no
different from seeing that we have been breathing deeply after
exercising. It's not at all though. It's completely different. We are
not just spectators in our own bodies, we are participants. There is a
difference.

> > > However, discoveries in psychology and neuroscience challenge the
> > validity of this experience and suggest that free will is just an illusion.
>
> The "free will" noise is not a illusion, the vibration of the air molecules
> caused by that sound can be measured in the lab.

I can see characters here on the screen so I know that your opinion is
not an illusion, it is just meaningless noise that happens to have
electronic consequences.

> > > This raises a question: What would happen if people started to
> > disbelieve in free will?
>
> About the same thing would happen if people started to disbelieve in what
> burps had to say.

Are you contradicting this study for a reason, or just making
unfounded claims against it?

Craig