On 4/8/2012 6:48 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

I also think you're wrong to single out the Occident. The Orient has effectively combined religion and politics too.

I agree. I was just citing Occident, because I know it better, and the political use has been quite effective and general. I am not sure there has been a buddhist state anywhere, nor a taoist state.

In South Korea buddhism is recognized as an official religion (among others) and so it ia funded by the government. A few years ago this led to the strange sight of a melee of buddhist monks fighting in the street with rocks and bottles and sticks over which sect was the *true* buddhism which should get the government funds.