On 08 Apr 2012, at 20:31, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/8/2012 6:48 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

I also think you're wrong to single out the Occident. The Orient has effectively combined religion and politics too.

I agree. I was just citing Occident, because I know it better, and the political use has been quite effective and general. I am not sure there has been a buddhist state anywhere, nor a taoist state.

In South Korea buddhism is recognized as an official religion (among others)

Yes, but that is different. In my country some religion are officially recognized, and others not. For example catholicism is recongnized, but scientology is not.

and so it ia funded by the government.

Yes, that's the idea. I am not catholic, but I pay taxes a part of which can be used for religious purpose. Scientology get also money, but they have to use corruption, and things like that.

A few years ago this led to the strange sight of a melee of buddhist monks fighting in the street with rocks and bottles and sticks over which sect was the *true* buddhism which should get the government funds.

Yes, but again, that is different from having a state which imposes the same religion to all the subjects, like materialism in the USSR, or Christianism in the Roman Empire after +500..