On 4/17/2012 12:27 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Apr 17, 3:05 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

But a very slight rearrangement by your local anesthesiologist and *you* don't
have any
sense at all - even though the atoms are still there.  Of course they are
entirely
different atoms than were constituting you a year ago.

I can turn on the internet by pushing a few buttons. That doesn't mean
that consequences of keyboard activity are causing the internet.

I can invent irrelevant metaphors, but that doesn't mean I've made an argument.

Atoms
being replaced continuously changes the arrangement continuously as
well.

If the pattern changed your memory and/or function would change - as proven in millions accidents and brain operations.

It makes sense to me that patterns are dependent upon pattern
recognition and have no causal efficacy in and of themselves.

A lot of stuff makes sense to you, because you define 'sense' to mean whatever you need it to mean.

Brent

No byte
has every done anything by itself.

I think it may be the case too that the whole Standard Model rests on
a faulty foundation, so that although our measurements and
observations are assumed to be objective and universal, in fact they
are attributable directly to the common sense of matter which makes up
our instruments, bodies, and brain alike. Our view of the microcosm
assumes significance from the outside in, despite our own experience
of significance arising from the inside out as well. It may be that
there is a sense-making inertia which drives the arrangement of atoms
from the top down and from within. I have not seen this possibility
suggested by anyone else and it seems likely to me that it simply has
not been considered.

Craig