On 5/4/2012 2:18 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

I'm not saying that science and religion are on an equal footing, but
I think it's a just-so-story to account for it by assuming that
religion must be easier to master and therefore more attractive.

Who has mastered religion? Are there any 'laws of religion' and
theorems, any experimental results (well a few which tend to show
religion is imaginary). Is the Pope an exemplar of clear thinking and
knowledge?

I have already mentioned about Colligwood. He starts with a statement that God exists and analyses what are hidden assumptions (absolute presuppositions) that makes sense for such a statement. Then he considers a statement that there are physical laws and again he analyses what are hidden assumptions (absolute presuppositions). His conclusion was that the absolute presuppositions in both cases are quite close to each other.

I have ordered his book and when I read it, I could report more on this subject. Right now some findings are here

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2012/03/collingwood-on-monotheism-and-science.html

Evgenii