On 5/31/2012 8:36 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I think there are many tricks the brain employs against itself to aid the selfish propagation of its genes. One example is the concept of the ego (having an identity).

Agreed. As I said just above.

So having an identity, a unity of thoughts, depends on there being a brain which depends on physics. Which is why I argue that, whatever is fundamental, physics is essential to consciousness.

Many drugs can temporarily disable whatever mechanism in our brain creates this feeling, leading to ego death, feelings of connectedness, oneness with other or the universe, etc. Perhaps one of our ancestors always felt this way, but died out when the egoist gene developed and made its carriers exploitative of the egoless.

Probably. I think so.

Evolutionarily the ego must have preceded Lobian programming by many generations. Competition and natural selection must have occurred even in the primordial soup.