On 31 May 2012, at 18:56, meekerdb wrote:

On 5/31/2012 8:36 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

I think there are many tricks the brain employs against itself to aid the selfish propagation of its genes. One example is the concept of the ego (having an identity).

Agreed. As I said just above.

So having an identity, a unity of thoughts, depends on there being a brain which depends on physics. Which is why I argue that, whatever is fundamental, physics is essential to consciousness.

I can agree. This does not make physics primitive though. Just that that the physical realm might delude us on our identity, as it does on materiality. Keep in mind that physics, with comp, is a statistic on computations as seen from some points of view.

Many drugs can temporarily disable whatever mechanism in our brain creates this feeling, leading to ego death, feelings of connectedness, oneness with other or the universe, etc. Perhaps one of our ancestors always felt this way, but died out when the egoist gene developed and made its carriers exploitative of the egoless.

Probably. I think so.

Evolutionarily the ego must have preceded Lobian programming by many generations.

I agree, for the human egos, but arithmetic is full of relative "egos", non lobian and lobian one.

Competition and natural selection must have occurred even in the primordial soup.

No doubt. From our perspective. ("our" can include the bacteria, and all living creatures).