On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Colin Geoffrey Hales <
cgha...@unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> [...]
> the human reading this - accept a model of a brain, put it in a computer
> and then expect the result to be a brain. This is done without a shred of
> known physical law, in spite of thousands of years of contrary experience,
> and despite decades of abject failure to achieve the sacred goal of an
> artificial intelligence like us.
>
> This belief system is truly bizarre. It is exactly like the cave person
> drawing a picture of a flame on a rock and then expecting it to cook
> dinner. It is exactly like getting into a flight simulator, flying it to
> Paris and then expecting to get out and have dinner on the banks of the
> Seine. It is exactly like expecting your computer simulated furnace
> roasting you a toilet bowl.
>
> Think about it. If there was no difference between a computed physics
> model of fire and fire, then why doesn't the computer burst into flames? If
> there was no difference between a computed model of flight and flight, then
> why doesn't the computer leap up and fly? These things don't happen! Not
> only that, any computer scientist would say you were nuts to believe it to
> be a possibility. Then that same computer scientist will then got back to
> their desk, sit down and believe that their computer program can be brain
> physics.
>
> Now I am all about creating real artificial general intelligence. Call me
> crazy, but I find I am unique in the entire world. I am set about literally
> building artificial inorganic brain tissue. Like the Wright Bros built
> artificial flight. Like the caveperson built artificial fire. I will build
> artificial cognition. There will be no computing. There will be the physics
> of cognition.
>
> Ay now here's the rub.
>
> When I go about my business of organising and researching my artificial
> brain tissue I get questioned about my weird approach. I find that I am the
> one that has to justify my position! For the first time in history a
> completely systemic delusion about the relation between reality and
> computing is assumed by legions of scientists without question, and who
> fail constantly to achieve the goal for clearly obvious reasons..... _and I
> am the one that has to justify my approach_? If I have to listen to another
> deferral to the Church-Turing Thesis (100% right and 100% irrelevant) I
> will SCREAM! Aaaaiiiiieeeeeiiiiuuuuaaaaaaarrrrgggggh!
>
> I am not saying artificial general intelligence is impossible or even
> hard. I am simply suggesting that maybe the route toward it is through
> (shock horror) using the physics of cognition (brain material). Somebody
> out there..... please? Can there please be someone out there who sees this
> half century of computer science weirdness in 100,000 years of sanity?
> Please? Anyone?
>
> By Colin Hales
>
> Natural physics is a computation. Fine.
>
> But a computed natural physics model is NOT the natural physics....it is

Colin,

I recently read the following excerpt from "The Singularity is Near" on
page 454:

"The basis of the strong (Church-Turing thesis) is that problems that are
not solvable on a Turing Machine cannot be solved by human thought,
either.  The basis of this thesis is that human thought is performed by the
human brain (with some influence by the body), that the human brain (and
body) comprises matter and energy, that matter and energy follow natural
laws, that these laws are describable in mathematical terms, and that
mathematics can be simulated to any degree of precision by algorithms.
Therefore there exist algorithms that can simulate human thought.  The
strong version of the Church-Turing thesis postulates an essential
equivalence between what a human can think or know, and what is computable."

So which of the following four link(s) in the logical chain do you take
issue with?

A. human brain (and body) comprises matter and energy
B. that matter and energy follow natural laws,
C. that these laws are describable in mathematical terms
D. that mathematics can be simulated to any degree of precision by
algorithms

Thanks,

Jason