On 7/11/2012 1:12 AM, Noon Silk wrote:
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Bruno Marchal<marc...@ulb.ac.be>  wrote:

>  [...]
>
>  Also, we could say that the discovery of the Higgs boson, if confirmed, is
>  disappointing, as it only confirms the theory, and so we learn nothing (to
>  think in the Deustch's manner).
This is wrong.

Of course in confirming theories you learn things; otherwise it is
strictly not necessary to even do the confirmation. And note that a
non-trivial part of the benefit of doing work like the LHC is the
applications of the processes and techniques that got us to this
point.

In some sense it's "more interesting" if it is The Higgs Boson with
additional "interesting" properties; but to consider it
"disappointing" to vindicate a theory is to kind of question the
entire business of science [if that's your aim, so be it, but within
context it's not sensible].

Many particle physicists that I know consider it slightly disappointing. One is of course pleased to have evidence that previous data has been understood so as to provide a correct predition. But they hoped (and still hope) that something in the experiment will give a clue to other puzzles (like the nature of dark matter and dark energy) - of course that will take more detail than just the bump in the digamma production curve.