On 8/16/2012 8:22 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 16 Aug 2012, at 15:06, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/16/2012 2:52 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 15 Aug 2012, at 17:29, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/15/2012 3:15 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
It is mine if the random generator is part of me. It is not mine if
the generator is outside of me (eg flipping the coin).

I don't see this. Why would the generator being part of you make it your choice? You might define "me" and "part of me" before. It is not clear if you are using the usual computer science notion of me, or not, but I would say that if the root of the choice is a random oracle, then the random oracle makes the choice for me. It does not matter if the coin is in or outside my brain, which is a local non absolute notion.

I'd say the crucial difference is whether you chose to use the random oracle (i.e. flip a coin) or you make a random decision (due to a K40 decay) without knowing it.

If I don't it, in what sense is it my free personal decision?

Don't do which? You can flip a coin and then change your mind and not do what it indicates, so whether to follow the coin or not is your decision. The decision due to the K40 decay is just another branch in Everett's multiverse.

Apology. I meant: if I don't know it. If I flip a coin and don't respect the output, the decision is mine indeed, but if I stick to my decision of following the random result, then, well, that decision (to follow the coin) is mine, but the decision to drink tea instead of coffee, with the coin, is the coin or God decision. I refer to the coin, and not to me. I can say that I abandon my decision to the coin throwing process. I stop to decide.

It seems that it's a question of demarcating a somewhat fuzzy boundary between "me" and the rest of the world. As Dennett says, "You can avoid responsibility for everything if you just make yourself small enough." You often refer to the person as the 1p view 'from the inside'. How 'big' is the person in this theory? What's the boundary between the person and the world he sees from his 1p view?