On 18 Aug 2012, at 15:21, Roger wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

I was trying to make monads more understandable, I realize that chips are finite.

The philosophies of Plotinus Leibniz are built on L's different logics.

a) The philosophy of Plotinus folllows what Leibniz calls the logic of reason
or necesssity.  Heavenly, unchangingly always either true or false.

b) The philosophy of Leibniz focusses on the the earth-bound logic of contingency,
where time plays a role. Sometimes true, sometimes false.

So I don't think Plotinus is applicable at all for the world in time-- biology, man and the brain -- as he does not seem to speak of life or living objects (such as all monads are). Or change itself, because the world of Plotinus is essentially dead: the unchanging Kingdom of Heaven
(unchanging, eternal).

Plotinus is a follower of course of Plato and the Kingdom of Heaven, but we also have to consider the actual, entelechic (and thus goal-oriented), changing, imperfect,
contingent world that we live in, the Kingdom of Earth.

I disagree. Plotinus explains both Heaven and Earth, and why souls fall from Heaven to Earth, and how they can come back. He study the terrestrial man, and explains why it is imperfect, and all its many difficulties.

I have not mentioned it previously, but for L, dead things are driven
deterministically as in physics,

What is a dead thing? Is not an illusion in the mind of something alive. Keep in mind that matter does not exist ontologically in comp. It exists only in the mind of persons.

that is, efficiently (from before) or,
in contrast, living things are pulled forward to justify final causes or goals (Aristotle).
Life has purpose and is goal-oriented.

OK.

Eschatologiocal. The end of time,
the Big implosion.

That happens, but not in the ontological reality, which is atemporal, aspatial, aphysical, (say) etc.

Dead objects are slaves to entropy, living objects eat entropy.

Leibniz, following Aristotle, oin the other hand, specifically speaks of change (inherent and continuous in all monads). So he could not be more different
than Plotinus.

In fact, Leibniz's whole philosophy might be considered as a philosophy of change.
Change which opely happens here in this contingent Kingdom of Earth.
The drive of this change is called appetition and entelechy. Yes,
entelechy and many of Leibniz's ideas are basically Aristotelian.

OK.

Note that I answer like if I was computationalist, as to avoid the repetitive label "assuming comp", but I don't know the truth, 'course. I do only "know" some consequences of comp though.

Bruno

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/18/2012
Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so everything could function."