On Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:28:26 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> On 9/2/2012 9:09 AM, John Clark wrote:
> > 6) Evolution has no foresight: This is the most important reason of all.
> >     A jet engine works better than a prop engine in an airplane. I give
> you a
> >     prop engine and tell you to turn it into a jet, but you must do it
> while
> >     the engine is running, you must do it in one million small steps,
> and you
> >     must do it so every one of those small steps immediately improves
> > the operation
> >     of the engine. Eventually you would get an improved engine of some
> > sort, but it
> >     wouldn't look anything like a jet.
>
> Good exposition.  But it's not the case every small step must be an
> improvement.  It's
> sufficient that it not be a degradation.

It seems like both of you are attributing to evolution some kind of
universal fitness. The terms improvement and degradation superimpose a
pseudo-teleology on evolution. In reality, if your island is suddenly
underwater, whoever happens to have the leftover semi-gills stands a better
chance of surviving and reproducing than the otherwise superior other
species. It has nothing to do with improvement, it's just an accumulation
of environmental shakeouts. Survival of the lucky.

Craig