On 06 Sep 2012, at 21:03, meekerdb wrote:

On 9/6/2012 11:52 AM, Brian Tenneson wrote:

A too much powerful God leads to inconsistency.

What if reality does not always obey the laws of logic? What if reality is sometimes inconsistent?

This is a confusion of levels. Logic is rules about truth preservation in declarative sentences. Not 'obeying the laws of logic' just means declaring inconsistent sentences. We try to avoid this because such utterances would have no determinate meaning. So a *descriptions* of reality may be inconsistent (and therefore useless) but reality is just whatever it is. It can't be inconsistent because it's not assertions.

Right. A theory, or a set of beliefs, or a set of propositions can be inconsistent. To say that reality is inconsistent or that a model (in the logician's sense) is inconsistent does not make sense, unless you build a theory in which reality is itself only a set of beliefs close for some logic. Now, with comp the reality we can take is arithmetical truth, and even if seen as a set of sentences, I doubt this can be inconsistent. But if you start with a set ontology, then indeed, I can imagine inconsistencies, but that would not be an inconsistency in reality, but inconsistency in the idea that reality is the set theoretical assumption again, in that case. Paraconsistent logics, which admit local inconsistencies, make sense for the study of natural languages, but if we agree that reality itself is an inconsistent set of of beliefs, I'm afraid the entire idea of science would be jeopardized. Any refutation of any theory could be accounted by a statement like "let us admit we are inconsistent". Once, I refute (= found an inconsistency) in the argument of someone pretending to show me a flaw in UDA, and eventually he told me that he accept being inconsistent, but then why should he not apply this to UDA itself? That just don't make sense, but of course, sense is no more relevant once you accept inconsistency.