On 9/14/2012 6:46 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 13 Sep 2012, at 13:53, Roger Clough wrote:

Again, if my daughter is human, why would she want to marry a robot ?
She wants a talking doll I suppose. Probably needs a shrink.

No. She just want to marry Jim. It is nice guy. She is glad that he survived the brain transplant. She does not consider him as a robot, but as a fully human being, just with new clothes.

If you believe this is impossible, it means either that you believe that Jim's mind, cannot be Turing emulable, which is a metaphysical stance, and you can't impose it to your daughter, or that he is a zombie. From her point of view, you behave like a racist, which judge people from the character of their body, and throw their souls and subjectivity in the trash.

You are the one telling your daughter that Jim is "nothing but" a bunch of metallic and silicon. She *knows* Jim, and recognize him through the transformation. You can't know that she is wrong, do you?

Dear Bruno and Roger,

    I am with Bruno here. What we are is not "just" the body.