On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly. It's one thing for a person to use an artificial hand, but what is
> it that learns to use an artificial 'you'? It's hard for me to understand
> how this obvious Grand Canyon is repeatedly glossed over in these
> conversations. Head amputation? No big deal... Ehhh, not so fast I say, and
> saying not so fast doesn't make someone a Luddite, it just doesn't make
> sense that without understanding anything about how or why subjectivity
> comes to be that we should presume to reproduce it through imitation of the
> very body parts which seem to show now trace of consciousness without us.

"You" are not located in a special spot in the brain. "You" are an
ensemble of parts working together. If you determine the rules a
component in the ensemble follows in response to its neighbours you
can replace that part and the ensemble will behave the same. You don't
need to know EXACTLY how the part behaves, only APPROXIMATELY, since
in ordinary life neurons change from moment to moment and the brain
continues to function. Sop if you replace a part, the behaviour of the
organism will be unchanged. But if consciousness changes despite
behaviour remaining the same you have a really weird situation: a
person who feels he has changed but is powerless to prevent his vocal
cords from speaking and saying that he has not changed.

--
Stathis Papaioannou