On Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:42:52 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> >> What test do you use to determine if it is still you after a certain
> >> procedure?
> >

> > You do half of the procedure, then walk them back off, then the other
> half
> > and walk them back off, then you do the whole procedure and walk them
> back
> > off. This would give the subject at least an idea of any obvious
> problems
> > with the procedure.
>
> OK, so you put in the brain implant, switch it in and out of circuit
> without telling the subject which is which, and ask them how they
> feel. They can't tell any difference and you can't tell any difference
> in behaviour. To make the experiment better there would be two
> researchers, one doing the switching and another analysing the
> subject's behaviour. With this double blind procedure the implant is
> pronounced successful. Is that good enough?

No, I think that you have to have each hemisphere of the brain offloaded
completely to the device one at a time, then both, and then back, and have
the subject live that way at each stage for several months before finally
being restored back to their original brain. This would be repeated several
times with double blind placebo offloadings. The subject would then decide
for themselves if it was safe for them to say yes to the doctor.

I entertain this only theoretically though, as I think in reality it would
fail completely, with every case resulting right away in unconsciousness,
amnesia, coma, death, trauma, and psychosis and the whole project
ultimately being abandoned for good.

Craig