On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 07:51:37AM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Hi everything-list
> >
> > The current paradigm for understanding the brain and mind
> > and their relationship appears to  be "bottom-up" theories
> > and calculations, that is, starting with the body and
> > hoping to reach I'm not sure what.
> >
> > Eventually in these theories one reaches a state of complexity
> > that apparently can only be overcome by the emergence of
> > new properties. If this isn't magic, I don't know what it is.
>
> You put together pieces of metal, plastic, hydrocarbons and you get -
> a car! If this isn't magic, I don't know what is.

Sarcasm aside, Roger does have a point. It is very difficult,
bordering on impossible, in general, to specify the microphysical
layer in just such a way as to reproduce a particular macrophysical
phenomenon of interest. This problem is faced everyday by
practitioners of agent-based modelling, and to a lesser extent by
artitifical life researchers (ALife researcher at least have the liberty of
researching any interesting emergent phenomenon without having any
particular emergent phenomenon in mind).

Cheers