On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 03:58:13PM -0400, John Mikes wrote:
> Russell,
> you seem to be restricted by OUR model-items, so far discovered. I call
> 'magic' the so far undiscovered, which - however - may become known later
> on. Then it is not magic.
> It would be the last thing to engage with you in discussing AL, but it
> seems you consider a limited one:
>
> *RS: "(ALife researcher at least have the liberty of
> researching any interesting emergent phenomenon without having any
> particular emergent phenomenon in mind)."*
> Restricted to the so far emerged ones? or those not showing up in our
> limited search (fantasy)?
> John M

What I meant by this, is if you assemble some system, and produce (or
discover) some emergent phenomenon, then that would be a legitimate
ALife study. Particularly, if there is some vague working analogy with life.

By contrast, if you assemble an ecomomy of agents, but the emergent
economy doesn't behave in the slightest like the economy your trying
to model, then you can hardly claim to be doing economics.

I'm not sure how that comment is restricted to anything???