Hi everything-list

The current paradigm for understanding the brain and mind
and their relationship appears to  be "bottom-up" theories
and calculations, that is, starting with the body and
hoping to reach I'm not sure what.

Eventually in these theories one reaches a state of complexity
that apparently can only be overcome by the emergence of
new properties. If this isn't magic, I don't know what it is.

There seems to be no better solution to this dilemma because
although the bottom can be reasonably specified, there is no top
to reach, or even if there is a top.

My suggestion is that some sort of top or goal of the calculations
ought to be at least suggested. Otherwise you are left to wander
around willy-nihily.  My own suggestion is to include a point
of focus required for perception called the self. This seems
to be a forbidden topic for materialists, or at least I am not
aware of any attempts to specify a self.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
10/4/2012