On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 10/5/2012 2:04 AM, Alberto G. Corona wrote:
>
> Dear john:
>
> 2012/10/4 John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
>
>>  Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com> Wrote:
>>
>>   >> Mother Nature (Evolution) is a slow and stupid tinkerer, it had
>>>>

>>>  > First of all, 360 degrees rotation is present in the flagela of the
>>> bacteria, invented about 3800 million years ago
>>>

>> I know, that's why I said "macroscopic". It's easy to make if the wheel
>> is microscopic because nutriments can just diffuse in and waste products
>> diffuse out; but as parts get bigger the volume increases by the cube of
>> the radius but the surface area only increases by the square, so when
>> things get big diffusion just isn't good enough. Evolution never figured
>> out how to do better and make a wheel large enough to see, but people did.
>>

>   I explained in a post above why evolution does not select  weels. An
> autonomous living being must be topologically connected, and weels are not.
> This is a neat consequence of the need of repairability. No autonomous
> robot with weels can work for long time without supoort.. This is explained
> in detail somewhere above.
>

> I can imagine a design in which wheels are connected to the circulatory
> system just as some vehicles are built with hydraulic motors in their
> wheels.  Or the wheels might be separate organisms in a symbiotic
> relation.  Those are possible - but it's too hard to get there from here.
> So you make the point yourself, evolution is constrained in ways that
> rational design is not.

Do we know that imagination doesn't use an evolutionary process (behind the
scenes) to come up with new ideas?  Could it be that our brains use
evolutionary techniques, combining different things we know in random ways
and running internal testing and selection of those ideas, before they
bubble up into an Ah-Ha moment that we become conscious of?

Jason