On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 06:32:21PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
Do we have any reason to believe ideas reproduce with variation and
then those that reproduce most successfully rise to consciousness?
THAT would be a Darwinian theory of consciousness.

Brent
Dennett's pandemonium theory would seem to be like that.

I don't think Dennett contemplated sexual reproduction of ideas.

Of course,
there must be differences in the details between conscious thought and
biological evolution - for example, thought may well be Lamarckian in
character (like cultural evolution).

The 'natural selection' that acts on ideas is mainly consilience with other ideas that are already occupying brain resources.