On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > if you could tell me how to determine if a computer has intelligence

The same way I determine if one of my fellow human beings is intelligent,
if he beats me at a intellectual task then he's intelligent, in fact he's
more intelligent than I am at least at that task. A few people are more
intelligent than me at nearly everything, some are better at only a few
very specialized tasks and some are better than me at nothing, like people
in a coma or dead people.

> free will

What a odd sequence of ASCII characters, perhaps your keyboard had a
malfunction.

> consciousness

I detect consciousness in computers the exact same way I determine it in my
fellow human beings, I guess.  I guess that if they're behaving
intelligently then they're conscious.

  John K Clark