From: Russell Standish
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-12, 16:54:43
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Conscious robots

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 08:23:33AM -0400, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Russell Standish
>

> Life cannot survive without making choices,
> like where to go next. To avoid an enemy. To get food.
>
> This act of life obviously requires an autonomous choice.
> Nobody can make it for you. It can't be pre-programmed.
>
> Free autonomous choice is a description in my view of intelligence.
>
> QED

The algorithm employed by certain bacteria is to travel in a straight
line if nutrient concentration is below a certain threshold, and to
tumble randomly if the nutrient concentration is above a certain
threshold.

Why is this effective? Ballistic motion (straight line case) exhibits
<\Delta x> proportional to <\Delta t> (average position change is
proportional to time), so its a good way to somewhere where resources
are more plentiful. By contrast chaotic motion has <\Delta x>
proportional to , which means you stick around longer
and hoover up more of the good stuff.

Is this autonomous? You bet. Is it living? Yes - it's bacteria, although
a robot doing the same thing would not necessarily be living. Is it
intelligent? - nup.

Cheers