On Monday, November 5, 2012 6:45:50 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

> Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> The dualisms will work as fictions as long as you don't take
> them too seriously.
>
> But keep in mind:
>
> IMHO all of those dualist positions are not logically valid.
> Instead, they are phoney attempts to get around the unresolveable
> issue that mind and body are completely contrary substances,
> and calling them a dualism is just a handy cover-up of the problem.
>
> Only Leibniz can claim philosophical verity by treating boith
> body and mind as mind (idealism). Materialist monists
> hold that mind is physical, which is nonsense,
> and the dualist coverup doesn't solve that absurdity.

My model solves that. Leibniz (and his philosophy isn't the only form of
idealism) was on the right track, but I take it further to say that what we
call mind is descended from lesser forms of sensitivity and greater forms
of intuition, and that in fact the symmetry itself between private time and
public space is the dual aspect neutral monism (I call sense, or signal)
which gives rise to both. This establishes that dualism is a shorthand
reduction of what is actually an involuted monism (like a Mobius strip)
which extends ever deeper into literal public surfaces and private
figurative depths.

Dualism doesn't go far enough. It should not only be taken seriously, it
should be taken as the supreme absolute. The capacity for discernment is
what the cosmos is made of. It is subject and object. It is what feels and
thinks as well as what is felt and thought about.

Craig