From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-06, 07:43:06
Subject: Re: The two types of truth

On 05 Nov 2012, at 13:45, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi Bruno Marchal
>

> Is sigma_6 truth truth with only a 6 sigma possibility of error ?

let P(x) be a decidable number property. Like being prime.

Note that if P(x) is decidable, then ~P(x) is decidable too. P(x), and
~P(x) are said sigma_0

Then, thanks to a theorem of Mostowski, you have a natural ladder of
degrees of insolubility:

sigma_1 the proposition with shape ExP(x) = "it exists a number
x such that it is the case that P(x)"

You can see that if a sigma_1 proposition is true, then, if you have
enough time you can know it in principle. Just test P(x) on 0, then on
1, then on 2, etc. If "ExP(x)" is true, you will find that x
eventially with that method.

Pi_1 the negation of of sigma_1 proposition. That is ~ExP(x),
which is equivalent with Ax~P(x). Do you see that. If is is false that
a number exists with the property P, it means that all numbers have
the property ~P.

Now Pi_1 are a priori more complex to prove that the sigma_1, as you
have to very that 0 has not p, and then 1 has not p, ad infinitum, in
case the proposition is true. Note that you can still refute such a
proposition in case it false, as you have just to verify the "ExP(x)"
to refute it.

Sigma_2 = Ay Ex P(x, y) Pi_2 Ey Ax P(x, y)
etc.

So a sigma_6 proposition would be AxEyAzErAtEkAnEmP(x,y,z,r,t,n,m)

Very complex proposition. For example with an oracle for the halting
problem, you can decide all sigma_1 truth or falsity, but you can't
decide a sigma_2 proposition.

Note this: sigma_1 completeness (the ability to decide the true, (bt
not necessarily the false) sigma_1 sentences) is equivalent with
Turing universality.

There is no direct relationship with error correction.

Bruno