From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-03, 16:19:47
Subject: a paper on Leibnizian mathematical ideas

Dear Roger and Friends,

     You might find this paper of some interest:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.7188

Leibniz's Laws of Continuity and Homogeneity

Mikhail G. Katz, David Sherry
(Submitted on 30 Nov 2012)

We explore Leibniz's understanding of the differential calculus, and
argue that his methods were more coherent than is generally recognized.
The foundations of the historical infinitesimal calculus of Newton and
Leibniz have been a target of numerous criticisms.
Some of the critics believed to have found logical fallacies in its
foundations. We present a detailed textual analysis of Leibniz's seminal
text Cum Prodiisset, and argue that Leibniz's system for differential
calculus was free of contradictions.

--
Onward!

Stephen