From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-05, 06:45:25
Subject: Re: a paper on Leibnizian mathematical ideas

On 12/5/2012 5:15 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Stephen P. King
> I don't recall ever finding a mistake in Leibniz's metaphysics,

Dear Roger,

     I found his need to appeal to God to solve the PEH problem to be a
big mistake, but at least he had a good excuse and did work out many of
the needed ideas of computation theory...

> although
> there is a serious shortcoming in not completely defining what a
> substance is.

     Yes, "substance" is the universal solvent of the time. Nowadays we
have Higgs bosons and Dark matter... same shit, different label.

> How far down the scale of maginification must or can
> or should one go ?

     As far down (and up!) as necessary to get to a level where one has
structure that requires a different set of representations. Think of how
at the molecular level one no longer has a physic of pressure and
temperature, but one of van der Waals forces...

> Leibniz seems to invite study, as he appearsd to have provided, not
> a thoroughly worked out metaphysics, but a toolkit (the monadology)
> for you to work it out yourself.

     What impresses me the most about the monadology is that it presents
a completely different mereological (relations between wholes and parts)
system than the "atoms in a void" paradigm. Additionally, it gives an
alternative to the usual "innate property" idea with its relationalism.
I see in Leibniz' the first glimmerings of Non-Well Founded sets.

--
Onward!

Stephen