From: Russell Standish
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-10, 17:36:01
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Introspection (internal 1p) has been dropped
bycognitivescience

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 07:59:20AM -0500, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Russell Standish
>
> Actual introspection is subjective, not objective.
> Computers as I understand them can only think objectively.

Two points:

1) Why do you think introspection is subjective? By contrast, I
suspect it is one of the most objective features of consciousness - we
can test it with things like the mirror test. We can know when other
animals exhibit introspection, whilst still retaining doubt about
their phenomenal consciousness.

2) Why do you think computers can only think objectively? Bruno, of
course, argues the opposite, although from with the assumption of COMP.