Hi Jason,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Roger,
>>

>>> I accidentally sent the previous email before
>>> I was done, sorry. Please consider this more complete version
>>> of the intended whole:
>>>
>>>  Hi Telmo,
>>>
>>>  Those images in the videoclips, while still remarkable,
>>> probably were constructed simply by monitoring
>>> sensory MRI signals just as one might from a video camera,
>>> and displaying them as a raster pattern, artificially
>>> converting the time voltage signal into a timespace signal.
>>>

>> Ok. We're not even sure what we're looking at. The brain is a gigantic^n
>> kludge. We are seeing stuff happening in the visual cortex that can be
>> meaningfully mapped to images. This stuff correlates with what the subject
>> is seeing, but in a weird way. So we can speculate that we're watching, for
>> example, a pattern matching process taking place. The most spectacular
>> thing for me is when we see the anticipation of the ink blot explosion.
>> That's something you wouldn't get from a video camera (but you could get
>> from a computer running a sophisticated AI).
>>

> The video we see is an amalgamation of the 100 video clips which most
> closely match the viewer's current brain activity compared to when the
> viewer watched each of those video clips.

That's just a practical detail. The 100 video clips amalgamation is just a
way to reduce noise from a still very imperfect system.

>  It makes for an impressive display, is a very creative idea, and shows we
> can use technology to read thoughts, but the raw data used to generate the
> video above was just a set of ID's for any one of the control videos the
> subject watched to set the baseline.  We are not really seeing an image
> created directly from one's brain activity.

We're unlikely to ever see that, because brain activity does not generate
jpg files. But we are seeing images that correlate with brain activity and
that's a type of encoding.