Hi again Roger,

It's a bit better than that. A machine learning algorithm is trained to
decode neural activation signals. The training is performed by showing the
subject known images, and letting the algorithm learn how their neural
activity maps to these images.

The real magic happens when you show them new stuff, that the algorithm
wasn't trained for. To me, the most impressive stuff here is when it fails.
If you pay attention to the videos, you will see the algorithm decoding
different (but similar images) from what the one being shown to the
subject. For example, when faces are shown, different faces are decoded and
then start correcting. My speculation is that we are actually seing visual
memories conjured by the brain in its pattern matching attempts. My
favorite is the ink blot exploding, where you can see the brain
anticipating the explosion, so you get to see a visual of the subject
imagining a likely future state.