From: Jason Resch
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-22, 16:21:17
Subject: Re: How visual images are produced in the brain. Was Dennett
rightafter all ?

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM, meekerdb  wrote:

On 12/22/2012 11:36 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
As to how computation might lead to consciousness, I think it helps to start
with a well-defined definition of consciousness.? Take dictionary.com's
definition:
"awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc."
Well what is awareness?? dictionary.com defines it as:
"having knowledge"
dictionary.com's simplest non-circular definition of knowledge is simply
"information".

As discussed earlier, you can have information in the Shannon sense, but that
is just measure over different possible messages.? For it to be information
*about* something, to be knowledge, it has to be grounded in the ability to
act.

Right.? But how do you define act?? I think changing states within the process
is sufficient.? That is to say, a brain in a vat, an AI in a virtual reality, a
person dreaming, etc. can all be conscious even though they have no externally
visible actions.? All the necessary action is internal to the mind itself.
?
? This means that an aware system in the GoL must be able to interact with it's
environment based on its knowledge.

The Turing machine in the GoL could of course run an emulation of any mind in
any virtual reality.? The mind would never know its true incarnation is a vast
grid of cells changing states.? It is a little reminiscent of the holographic
principal and how it might apply to ourselves:

"In a larger and more speculative sense, the theory suggests that the entire
universe can be seen as a two-dimensional information structure "painted" on
the cosmological horizon, such that the three dimensions we observe are only an
effective description at macroscopic scales and at low energies." --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle
?
Jason