On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/22/2012 11:36 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
> As to how computation might lead to consciousness, I think it helps to
> start with a well-defined definition of consciousness.  Take
> dictionary.com's definition:
> "awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings,
> etc."
> Well what is awareness?  dictionary.com defines it as:
> "having knowledge"
> dictionary.com's simplest non-circular definition of knowledge is simply
> "information".
> As discussed earlier, you can have information in the Shannon sense, but
> that is just measure over different possible messages.  For it to be
> information *about* something, to be knowledge, it has to be grounded in
> the ability to act.

Right.  But how do you define act?  I think changing states within the
process is sufficient.  That is to say, a brain in a vat, an AI in a
virtual reality, a person dreaming, etc. can all be conscious even though
they have no externally visible actions.  All the necessary action is
internal to the mind itself.

>   This means that an aware system in the GoL must be able to interact with
> it's environment based on its knowledge.

The Turing machine in the GoL could of course run an emulation of any mind
in any virtual reality.  The mind would never know its true incarnation is
a vast grid of cells changing states.  It is a little reminiscent of the
holographic principal and how it might apply to ourselves:

"In a larger and more speculative sense, the theory suggests that the
entire universe <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe> can be seen as a
two-dimensional <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension> information
structure "painted" on the cosmological
such that the three
dimensions<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_dimensions>we observe
are only an effective description at macroscopic
scales <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroscopic_scale> and at low
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle