Hi Bruno Marchal

1) I was thinking of physical science, which cannot
know the meaning of things.

2) OK, I had overlooked the nonexistence in a mental
sense, or matter.

3) Aquinas was able to get away with basing his theology
on Aristotle by invoking what he called the "analogy of Being, "
which by fiat merges philosophy with theology:

http://jackkilcrease.blogspot.com/2011/12/analogy-of-being.html

"First, let's define the analogy of being. The analogy of being presupposes
that there is a similarity between
God and his creatures. God of course does not exist as his creatures exist. He
is infinite, eternal, and non-contingent.
Nevertheless, he can be said to exist, as can his creatures even if there
existence is profoundly different.
Hence there is an analogy of being existing between them. Moreover, God's
attributes (wisdom, power, goodness, etc.)
though infinite and eternal, can be observed as existing in analogous manner in
creatures who also possess them.
There is a similarity with a still greater dissimilarity between God's reality
and his creatures. Such a claim about God allowed
 the Medieval theologians (particularly Thomists) to claim that their doctrinal
statements about God's nature were realistically true,
while at the same time allowing for divine mystery."

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/16/2013