On 1/24/2013 6:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:05:31 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 1/24/2013 5:14 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
    > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:55 AM, meekerdb<meek...@verizon.net
<javascript:>>  wrote:

    >> It's probably a lot simpler than that.  In the U.S. if you're an atheist
it
    >> may be hard to find a sympathetic ear.  Depending a lot on where you
live,
    >> you may be isolated and reviled.
    > Is that really true? I was in the US recently for the first time,
    > Scottsdale Arizona and NYC, and other than Christmas decorations I
    > can't recall seeing much evidence of religion at all. This is perhaps
    > a superficial impression but I was a bit surprised nevertheless.

    Scottsdale is pretty cosmopolitan - it's where airline pilots go to retire.
 NYC of
    course
    is as secular, diverse, and worldly as any place in the world.  Try
visiting small
    towns
    in Kentucky, South Carolina, Mississippi, Oklahoma,...  It's not called
"the bible
    belt"
    for nothing.

It would be more tedious than genuinely threatening to be an atheist adult in redneck America - unless you insist upon being as vocal as the Fundies. Yes, there's a lot of churches, and people will ask you what church you go to, but they will also ask you what sports team you support and think you are just as threatening if you are unaffiliated that way.

I'd didn't say they'd be threatening. But if you were an atheist looking for a friendly ear the only ones you'd find would probably want to convert you.