On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:30:49 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> Miguel Nicolelis <http://www.nicolelislab.net/>
>
> > You could have all the computer chips ever in the world and you won’t
>> create a consciousness.
>>

> It must be grand being a "hard problem" theorist because it's the easiest
> job in the world bar none, no matter how smart something is you just say
> "yeah but it's not conscious" and there is no way anybody can prove you
> wrong.

It's not that easy because people don't understand the hard problem and
keep trying to pretend that it doesn't exist just because they can't solve
it.

> >computers will never replicate the human brain and that the technological
>> Singularity is "a bunch of hot air. The brain is not computable and no
>> engineering can reproduce it,"
>>

> Unless you're willing to get on the mystical bullshit train (and even in
> the 21'st century many are all too willing to get on that broken down old
> choo choo) then the only conclusion to make is that the neural wiring
> required to develop human level intelligence CANNOT be impossibly complex
> because in the entire human genome there are only 3 billion base pairs.
> There are 4 bases so each base can represent 2 bits and there are 8 bits
> per byte so that comes out to just 750 meg, and that's enough assembly
> instructions to make not just a brain and all its wiring but a entire human
> baby. So the instructions MUST contain wiring instructions such as "wire
> the neurons up this that and the other way and then repeat that procedure
> 917 billion times.

No, it probably doesn't work that way at all. You are looking in the TV set
to find which wires make the TV shows.

> And there is a huge amount of redundancy in the human genome, if you used
> a file compression program like ZIP on that 750 meg you could easily put
> the entire thing on half a CD, not a DVD not a Blu ray just a old fashioned
> vanilla CD.
>
> > human consciousness (and if you believe in it, the soul) simply can’t be
>> replicated in silicon. That’s because its most important features are the
>> result of unpredictable, non-linear interactions amongst billions of cells
>>

> Unpredictability and non-linear reactions are a dime a dozen but are more
> the defining attribute of insanity than intelligence or the feeling of
> personal identity that persists over decades; and besides, computers have
> no trouble being unpredictable and non-linear. The first program I ever
> wrote was to zoom in and look at small parts of the infinite Mandelbrot set
> in detail, and even though I wrote the program if I wanted to know what the
> image it would produce next would look like all I could do is wait and see
> what sort of picture the program would create.

I agree with you there, it's not the unpredictability that is the issue.
The unpredictability is a symptom of the sentience expressed through the
cells.

> > You can’t predict whether the stock market will go up or down because
>> you can’t compute it
>>

> But it would be easy to write a program that goes up and down in such a
> way that it passes the exact same statistical tests for randomness that the
> real stock market does. So yes, it would be easier to make a intelligent
> computer than it would be to make a intelligent computer that also happens
> to be John K Clark or any other specific individual.

He's just giving a layman's example of how not everything can be reproduced
computationally.

> > the human brain has evolved to take the external world—our surroundings
>> and the tools we use—and create representations of them in our neural
>> pathways.
>>

> And those neural pathways have started to understand how they work and has
> devised technology to produce intelligent behavior without biological
> neurons.

I think he's wrong there. There are no representations of our experiences
in our neural pathways. Pointers maybe.

Craig