On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:09:27 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2013, at 05:28, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:53:46 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, February 20, 2013, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>
>> If he is making mice conscious of infra-red light though, then I would
>>> say he works with consciousness.
>>>

>> How do you know the mice are conscious of infra-red light? If it were a
>> machine you would say it wasn't conscious, it just reacted to the light in
>> a way that superficially resembles consciousness.
>>

> That's because we are obliged to give organisms like us the benefit of the
> doubt. The opposite is true of machines, where we have seen that their
> behavior has no basis in any innate sensitivity or agenda of the machine.
>

> 1) nobody has seen this (and I am not sure "seeing that kind of thing" can
> make sense).

I have seen it though. All day long I see computers acting in a way which
is clearly insensitive of consequences and devoid of any personal agenda.

> 2) seeing is no proof of existence or inexistence. Nor even ontological
> evidence.

Believing that is no disproof of it either. Proof really isn't relevant for
consciousness. No proof is possible or necessary for our own presence.
Awareness is more primitive than proof or belief or truth.

Craig