On 3/16/2013 10:55 AM, tjp.bay...@gmail.com wrote:

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:39:55 PM UTC, Roger Clough wrote:

    We live in an indefinite world of superposed quantum states,

Doesn't it depend what you mean by 'live'? As far as I can see, I live in a definite world, but I am aware of having an imagination and a bunch of concepts about life (same thing?) Since I observe my imagination I can say it is also definite, though what it purports to reference is not observed and therefore is not definite. Linking this with another current thread, if you have a QM-realistic view of life, can you hold to a materialist view of consciousness?

I have the impression that on this list "materialist" has come be an epithet. It is applied to physicists who think the world consists of a ray in an infinite dimensional complex Hilbert space - which is about as "material" as Bruno's modal logic. Apparently anything that is well defined and makes definite predictions is "material".