On Wed, Mar 20, 2013  Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If when X is changed there is ALWAYS a change in Y in the same
>> direction, and when Y changes you can   ALWAYS  find a change in X  that
>> preceded it, then X causes Y. IT'S WHAT THE WORD "CAUSES" MEANS!
>>

> > Two flowers bloom at sunrise every day without fail. Does one cause the
> other to bloom?

I don't know, I'd have to perform some experiment's to find out.

> Do the flowers cause the sun to rise?

If when X happens Y always happens AND when X doesn't happen Y never
happens then we can say with great confidence that X causes Y because
that's what the word "causes" means. Thus if when the flower blooms the sun
always comes up AND when the flower does not bloom (such as when the
experimenter ties the bloom closed) the Earth changes its rotational speed
and the sun never comes above the horizon then we can say with great
confidence that the flower caused the sun to rise because that's what the
word "causes means. We might not fully understand how or why botany and
astronomy are related in this way but there would be no doubt that they
are. However we DON'T get these experimental results in the real world so
we say the flower does not cause the sun to rise.

When the chemistry of the brain changes the conscious experience that the
brain produces always changes, AND when the chemistry does not change the
conscious experience never changes, thus  we can say with great confidence
that chemistry causes consciousness because that's what the word "causes"
means. We might not fully understand how or why chemistry and consciousness
are related in this way but there is no doubt that they are.  We DO get
these experimental results in the real world so we say that if matter is
organized in certain ways it produces consciousness.

>  > Two unrelated systems can both be related to a third,

> > They can be unrelated except for their mutual relation to the third
> thing though, obviously.

Besides that Mrs Lincoln how did you like the play? I am unrelated to my
sister except for our mutual relation to our parents, obviously.

  John K Clark