On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> From the Quora
> http://www.quora.com/Board-Games/What-are-some-fun-games-to-play-on-an-8x8-Checkerboard-besides-chess-checkers
>
> This is interesting because I think it shows the weakness of the
> one-dimensional view of intelligence as computation. Whether a program can
> be designed to win or not is beside the point, as it is the difference
> between this game and chess which hints at the differences between
> bottom-up mechanism and top-down intentionality.
>
> In Arimaa, the rules invite personal preference as a spontaneous
> initiative from the start - thus it does not make the reductionist
> assumption of intelligence as a statistical extraction or 'best choice'.
> Game play here begins intuitively and strategy is more proprietary-private
> than generic-public. In addition the interaction of the pieces and
> inclusion of the four trap squares suggests a game geography which is
> rooted more in space-time sensibilities than in pure arithmetic like chess.
> I'm not sure which aspects are the most relevant in the difference between
> how a computer performs, but it seems likely to me that the difference is
> specifically *not* related to computing "power". To wit:
>
> "There are tens of thousands of possibilities in each turn in Arimaa. The
> 'brute force approach' to programming Arimaa fails miserably. Any human who
> has played a bit of Arimaa can beat a computer hands down."
>
> This to me suggests that Arimaa does a good job of sniffing out the
> general area where top-down consciousness differs fundamentally from bottom
> up simulated intelligence.

If this game shows "where top-down consciousness differs fundamentally from
bottom up simulated intelligence" would you accept a computer beating a
human at Arimaa as evidence that computers had the "top-down
consciousness"? Would you accept an AI matching a human in any
task whatsoever as evidence of the computer having consciousness? If not,
why bother pointing out computers' failings if you believe they are a
priori incapable of consciousness or even intelligence?

--
Stathis Papaioannou