On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:32:46 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> From the Quora
>> http://www.quora.com/Board-Games/What-are-some-fun-games-to-play-on-an-8x8-Checkerboard-besides-chess-checkers
>>
>> This is interesting because I think it shows the weakness of the
>> one-dimensional view of intelligence as computation. Whether a program can
>> be designed to win or not is beside the point, as it is the difference
>> between this game and chess which hints at the differences between
>> bottom-up mechanism and top-down intentionality.
>>
>> In Arimaa, the rules invite personal preference as a spontaneous
>> initiative from the start - thus it does not make the reductionist
>> assumption of intelligence as a statistical extraction or 'best choice'.
>> Game play here begins intuitively and strategy is more proprietary-private
>> than generic-public. In addition the interaction of the pieces and
>> inclusion of the four trap squares suggests a game geography which is
>> rooted more in space-time sensibilities than in pure arithmetic like chess.
>> I'm not sure which aspects are the most relevant in the difference between
>> how a computer performs, but it seems likely to me that the difference is
>> specifically *not* related to computing "power". To wit:
>>
>> "There are tens of thousands of possibilities in each turn in Arimaa.
>> The 'brute force approach' to programming Arimaa fails miserably. Any human
>> who has played a bit of Arimaa can beat a computer hands down."
>>
>> This to me suggests that Arimaa does a good job of sniffing out the
>> general area where top-down consciousness differs fundamentally from bottom
>> up simulated intelligence.
>>

> If this game shows "where top-down consciousness differs fundamentally
> from bottom up simulated intelligence" would you accept a computer beating
> a human at Arimaa as evidence that computers had the "top-down
> consciousness"?

No, that's why I wrote "Whether a program can be designed to win or not is
beside the point.". You may be able to build a screwdriver that is big
enough to use as a hammer in some situations, but that doesn't mean that it
is an actual claw hammer.

Would you accept an AI matching a human in any task whatsoever as evidence
> of the computer having consciousness? If not, why bother pointing out
> computers' failings if you believe they are a priori incapable of
> consciousness or even intelligence?

I point out the computers failings to help discern the difference between
consciousness and simulated intelligence. I'm interested in that because I
have a hypothesis about what awareness actually is, and that hypothesis
indicates that awareness cannot necessarily be assembled from the outside.
I think computers are great, I use them all day every day by choice and by
profession, but that doesn't make them the same thing as a person, or a
proto-person. Not only are they not that, they are, in my hypothesis, the
precise opposite of that. Machines are impersonal. Trying to build a person
from impersonal parts is like trying to find some combination of walking
north and south which will eventually take you east.

Thanks,
Craig