On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:31:05 PM UTC-4, Brian Tenneson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>

>> Searle wasn't wrong. The whole point of the Chinese Room is to point out
>> that computation is a disconnected, anesthetic function which is
>> accomplished with no need for understanding of larger contexts.
>>

> How do we know that what humans do is understand things rather than just
> compute things?

Because we care about what we understand, and we identify with it
personally.  Understanding is used also to mean compassion. When someone
demonstrates a lack of human understanding, we say that they are behaving
robotically, like a machine, etc. Questions like, "How do you know you are
conscious?", or "How do you know that you feel?" are sophistry. How do you
know that you can ask that question?

Craig