On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:31:05 PM UTC-4, Brian Tenneson wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> Searle wasn't wrong. The whole point of the Chinese Room is to point out
>>> that computation is a disconnected, anesthetic function which is
>>> accomplished with no need for understanding of larger contexts.
>>>

>> How do we know that what humans do is understand things rather than just
>> compute things?
>>

> Because we care about what we understand, and we identify with it
> personally.  Understanding is used also to mean compassion. When someone
> demonstrates a lack of human understanding, we say that they are behaving
> robotically, like a machine, etc. Questions like, "How do you know you are
> conscious?", or "How do you know that you feel?" are sophistry. How do you
> know that you can ask that question?

Sounds circular. "we do understand things because we care about what we
understand."  The type of understanding I was referring to was not about
compassion.  Why is it so strange to think that we are stuck in a big
Chinese room, without really understanding anything but being adept at
pushing symbols around?